Make Sure No Child Goes Hungry
As Co-chair of the Out of Poverty Caucus and member of the Democratic Whip’s Task Force on Poverty, Income Inequality, and Opportunity, Congressman Butterfield will continue to protect and strengthen crucial safety net programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Unemployment Insurance (UI) programs, and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), which help families get back on their feet after unexpected challenges. These critical programs are absolutely essential to keep children and families from going hungry while helping get people back to work.
You Should Know
Congressman Butterfield has led the fight to provide nutrition programs such as SNAP by sponsoring the Creating Hope Act of 2011.This act provides market incentives to pharmaceutical companies to develop new drugs for children with rare pediatric diseases, such as childhood cancers and sickle cell.
Congressman Butterfield has opposed cuts to TANF and WIC proposed by House Republicans. He has repeatedly urged Congress and Governor McCrory to extend Unemployment Insurance programs for long-term unemployed North Carolinians. He has also supported increasing the minimum wage so hourly workers are not forced to live in poverty.
As a staunch advocate for the health and safety of vulnerable communities, Congressman Butterfield has actively sought remedies to address potential health and environmental threats like Coal Ash spill in North Carolina.
Butterfield Takes Action
- Butterfield Offers Amendment to Protect Low-Income Communities from Environment and Public Health Risks
- Butterfield Original Cosponor of Bipartisan ADAPT Act to Safeguard Public Health
- President Obama Signs McCaul-Butterfield 'Creating Hope Act'
- Butterfield and Price Press EPA Administrator for Stricter Standards on Coal Ash
GKB in NC
- Congressman Butterfield hosts town hall meetings to provide up to date information about the Affordable Care Act
- Congressman Butterfield makes a statement on the potential health and environmental threats posed by the coal ash spill on the Dan River in Rockingham, North Carolina
- Congressmen Butterfield and Price Tour Solar and Wind Energy Projects by Fourth Graders
Stay informed on this and other important issues by signing up for our newsletter here.